Born and raised inPanama City,Florida, Josh Scalf has been an active musician in the South East United States since his teens when he was a member of the Bay High School Band program.
After high school, Josh pursued a degree in music education fromTroyStateUniversity. During his tenure at TSU, Josh performed in many different educational ensembles, including the principle trombone position in the Symphony Band, the lead and solo chair with the 1 o’clock jazz band, and the trombonist position with the TSU jazz chamber ensemble. Josh also had the opportunity to study with Demondrae Thurman, a highly sought after Euphonium soloist and low brass professor and performer throughout the world.
During his time in University, Josh won the Bass Trombone chair with the Montgomery Symphony, where he stayed on as an integral member of the low brass section as well as taking on responsibilities as the symphony’s librarian from 2005 to 2008, when he left the South East for a position with Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines.
In August of 2008, Josh leftFloridato join the Navigator of the Seas inRome,Italy. During the next 3 ½ years Josh performed with numerous acts and personalities from Las Vegas, the West End of London, Broadway and other world stages on the Navigator, Freedom and finally the Allure of the Seas. During his second year with the company, Josh took on the role of onboard Musical Director, a position he has filled on both the Freedom and the Allure of the Seas until recently. At present, Josh is leaving the life at sea to pursue a furthered education and a career as a freelance trombonist.
During the past several years, Josh has performed with such notable acts and musicians as:
- Andy Bell (of Erasure)
- Cheyenne Jackson (Xanadu, Glee, 30 Rock, United 93, the Tony Awards)
- Idina Menzel (Wicked, Rent, Glee, Rescue Me, Enchanted)
- Brian McKnight (Motown Records and E1 Records R&B recording artist)
- Lee Greenwood (MCA Country Music recording artist)
- Tony Tillman (Las Vegas entertainer)
- Earl Turner (Las Vegas entertainer)
- Jonathan Kane (fully endorsed Elton John impersonator)
- Tracey Shield (Celine Dion tribute act)
- Spectrum! (Motown tribute act)
- Motown Live! (Motown tribute act)
- Ronnie Cuber (Freelance Saxophonist)
- Steve Ellington
- Chad Fisher (Freelance Trombonist)
- Wes Funderburk (Freelance Trombonist and educator)
- Dr. Tom Gibson (Freelance Trombonist and educator )
- Steve Gillmore (Bassist for Phil Woods, Tony Bennet, Jamey Aebersold)
- Victor Lopez (of the Miami Sound Machine)
- Dr. Timothy Pitchford (Trombonist – K.C. and the Sunshine Band)
- Shane Porter (Freelance Trumpeter and educator)
- Gary Smulyan (Freelance Saxophonist)
- Chris Vadala (Freelance Saxophonist and educator)
Josh has also performed in CHICAGO: The Musical
onboard the Allure of the Seas (a fully licensed touring version of the original Broadway hit) for the last year and a half.
Concerts with Cloud 9 Orchestra
02.14.2012…“Valentines on Cloud 9” at Bay Banquet Hall (Panama City, FL)
05.19.2012…Studio 415 Grand Opening Ball (Panama City, FL)
07.1.2012…”Let Freedom Swing” featuring Cloud 9 Orchestra (Panama City, FL)
08.18.2012…”High Five for Mike” Benefit Concert (Birmingham, AL)
12.22.2012…”Jingle Bells Swing” at Northside Baptist Church (Panama City, FL)
06.08.2013…“HealthFirst CPR Day” at Space Coast Stadium (Melbourne, FL)